When choosing a home to purchase, today’s home buyers have many important decisions to make. When any home being considered has a fireplace, wood stove, or flue, insisting on a thorough inspection of these features is critical, especially when buyers intend to use these features as a supplemental or emergency heat source. If your are considering the purchase of a home with a fireplace, wood stove, or flue, here are three excellent reasons to get them professionally inspected by a certified inspector first.
1. Fire Safety
Because these features deal with heat and open flames, fire safety is the most important reason to insist upon a thorough inspection. Flues for wood stoves and fireplaces often have buildups of a substance called creosote.
Highly flammable, creosote results when there has been an incomplete combustion of the wood used to make a fire, and is a leading cause of chimney and flue fires. This can happen when the firewood has not been correctly seasoned before use, or when the fire has not received the proper amount of oxygen to allow it to burn hot enough to prevent creosote from forming. Continue reading →
Most people do not realize how important it is to keep your dryer vent free of debris. Dryer vent cleaning is essential for the safety of you and your family and home. If your dryer vent is clogged, it can catch fire and destroy your home. Below is a video of a dirty dry vent and a video of a dryer vent being cleaned.
Do you have a problem with birds nesting in your chimney?
We can help you with that. Below is photos of birds nesting in a chimney that we covered the top of the chimney so they could not nest in there anymore. This is a safety hazard to have anything in your chimney and should be removed.
Give us a call to have your fireplace done or inspected today!
This is a photo of a very very dirty dryer vent. It was a rental property and the owner had a reputation of not doing any upkeep on the property. You can see that the lint has charred and very nearly to catch on fire. That this landlord put the lives of others at risk due to dryer vent fire is appalling. Making money over human loss or life is just wrong.
Pardon my little rant. But this was so close to catching on fire and it could have happened at night and lots of nasty things……